Recipes and More

Sunday, September 5, 2010

It's a muffin kind of morning.

Even though it is still summer in Boston, it has finally cooled down from the raging roll of 90 degree weather that kept us under ice packs and fans for 5 unbearable days. And so in the wake of this new 70 degree weather, I am celebrating by thinking of all the yummy things to look forward to in the coming fall. I am literally holding myself back from running out and buying pumpkin puree so I can make pumpkin pie--my absolute favorite dessert. I am a pumpkin fanatic and it kills me that the stores here decide not to keep it in stock until November when Thanksgiving rolls around. So, in the meantime, I have to make due with other fall treats and flavors.

I turned over from a deep sleep this morning to see Dylan's smiley face saying "I want muffins!" So, hardly hesitating on the subject of breakfast, although it is already 10:30 in the morning, I look through my books for ideas on the perfect healthy muffin (without white flour, since I didn't realize that all the flour, that I assumed we had used up in the bag, had actually been moved to a glass jar which I failed to notice in my morning sleepiness). Making use of the oat bran and whole wheat flour I had stored, I created my very own blueberry bran muffin with a cinnamon-sugar crust to satisfy that late morning craving.



Blueberry Oat Bran Muffin
Makes 10-12 muffins

You will need:

-1 1/8 cup oat bran
-1 cup milk
-1 Tablespoon plain yogurt (although, I used banana cause that's what I had)
-1 cup whole wheat flour
-1/3 cup brown sugar
-1/2 Tablespoon baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
-1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon + about 1/2 teaspoon for topping
-2 large eggs
-1/3 cup canola oil
-1 teaspoon vanilla extract
-1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
-1/4 cup granulated sugar

1. Combine the oat bran, milk, and yogurt in a large bowl. Mix together and let sit for 20-30min., letting the oat bran soften.

2. Make sure rack is in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.

3. Mix together well the wheat flour, sugar, baking soda, and cinnamon in a medium size bowl. Put aside.

4. Add the eggs, oil, and vanilla to the oat bran mixture and whisk to combine. Add the flour mixture to the oat bran mixture and mix with a rubber spatula until just combined. Don't overmix! They will become tough if you do!

5. Add your blueberries and fold into the mix.

6. Grease the muffin cups with either butter or an oil spray. Spoon the mixture evenly into each cup, using all the batter.

7. For the topping: Mix the granulated sugar and last 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon together. Sprinkle each muffin top with about 1/2 teaspoon of the cinnamon-sugar. Don't skimp on the sugary tops! In the oven these will melt down to create a crunchy sugary crust.

8. Bake for 20min. or until toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean. Let rest for 10min on a cooling rack before serving.

9. Eat them with butter, with a little honey, or as is. Enjoy!!

Happy Cooking,

-Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment