Recipes and More

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Brilliant Brussels

Brussels sprouts have got to be one of the most pushed-to-the-side-of-the-plate veggie of all the leafy greens. This is something I've never understood. Perhaps those who hate these little sprouts, which resemble small cabbages, had some terrifying experience as a child with awfully prepared greens. Boiled or overcooked, the sprouts release the full potential of their bitterness which kids find unappetizing. Or perhaps it's just the natural dislike of vegetables that tends to run in children. Personally, I have never hated Brussels sprouts in my life. Although, I may have been reluctant at first to try them at first because a lot of kids answer the question, "what is your least favorite food," with Brussels sprouts.

My mom raised us with the firm belief that a child gains a dislike first and foremost from their parents. If a parent shows their child that they don't like something or says something like, "you may not like this, but try it," the kid might learn, before even putting the food in their mouth, that the food isn't good. Of course, there are certain foods that people have to "grow-into" or is an acquired taste. For instance, I didn't like avocados until I was in high school. When I was younger, the taste was too overwhelming. But as a result of my mom's decision to not let us not try anything, there is hardly anything I don't like. In fact, my least favorite foods are processed foods which taste often too sweet and unnatural to me.

As far as Brussels sprouts, I'm not going to sit here and try to convince you to try anything. My point is, you never know. Perhaps your taste palate has changed and the sprouts may surprise you. It also helps to know how to prepare them in such a way that it minimizes the bitterness and brings out the savory flavor of these little cabbages.

Delicious Pan Fried Brussels

You will need:
-12-15 brussels sprouts (you can get a big bag of brussels sprouts at Trader Joes for a good price, and I heard-- pre-cut too!)
-olive oil (about 3 Tablespoons)
-salt (I prefer granulated sea salt)
-Parmesan cheese (optional)


1. Start by rinsing the sprouts in water. Pull off any browning or shriveled leaves off. If your Brussels sprouts are whole and not cut yet, cut off the stem of the Brussels sprout at just the base so that the leaves remain attached. Cut the sprout in half lengthwise through the base.

2. Heat a large skillet with the olive oil for a minute or until the oil starts to shimmer. Put the sprouts in the pan face down in the oil. Be careful not to burn yourself with the oil. Sprinkle the salt over the sprouts in a few short movements over the pan.

3. Let the sprouts cook until the faces are a light-medium brown color (careful not to burn!) Turn over the Brussels and toss in the remaining oil for about a minute or two more.

4. Serve immediately. Additionally, you may choose to serve with grated Parmesan on top.


Happy Cooking!

-Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment